Okay....so Chris and I try really hard at being great parents...but it seems like no matter what we do...Vinny get sick...ALOT! Well here is what happened...lets see what day is it now. So Sunday Vincent woke up and was wheezing just a little bit...gave him a nebulizer treatment...all better...GREAT! well later in the day he did it again...gave treatment...all better. At that time we thought maybe it was the dust from the basement since Chris was working down there...the next morning while we were working..Aunt Shannon called and said that he was coughing a little bit and had a fever of 102.7 of course she gave tylenol...by bedtime he was his normal active little boy. Then it all changes...Tuesday morning...he again woke up and was wheezing...treatment given...not much changed. Two hours later another treatment given...worked for maybe 30 minutes.... the nurse in me took over then... and two hours later....(suppose to wait 4 hours) gave another treatment....helped 15 minutes. So I just kept a good eye on him..tried to limit his activity...which is a task in itself. After lunch I thought getting out of the house might be good for him...fresh air! It was nice out so I put a sweatshirt and hat on him...with a blanket and we went for a walk. He fell asleep almost instantly...I think he could breath easier sitting up. So I walked and walked and walked while he slept. His morning nap was short because he kept coughing. So we walked a little bit over an hour. Well.....probably not a good thing high-n-sight. His hands were a bit purplish and around his lips as well. His hands were cold...so I blamed it on that. Well about an hour later while we were inside, after trying to get him to drink something and eat some yogurt...he still looked funny colored to me. It was almost perfect timing, Shannon and Harley were back from their walk over to see Wyatt and instantly after walking in the door she stated Vinny's color looks weird. That was all I needed to hear. I though maybe I was looking into it too much and trying to see something more than there was. I had contemplated taking him to the doctor all day, he hadn't ate much for breakfast or lunch and had basically quit drinking after breakfast. SO...we called the doctor and took him in ASAP!!! His oxygen level at the doctors office was 86% and I had done a treatment 30 minutes before we went there. So they did another treatment and added...I think it was atrovent or something..anyways another different acting drug to open his airway open. He fell asleep in my arms during the treatment...and after it his sats were 91%. They thought he had pneumonia because of the way he presented with resp. distress, fever and not eating..they wanted an xray and probably for us to stay the night in the hospital. So off we went to the hospital....I honestly fought going...I asked and asked is there anything else I can do at home first to try...the answer was NO. So we got admitted to the PEDS unit. Vincent had lost weight he was down to 20 lbs 5 oz. They started an IV in his hand..thankfully it only took 1 try. He fought them though...in returns they taped that IV so much..and wrapped it in gauze that it looked like he had a cast. They had to a nasal washing on him and respiratory panel...not a fan of that. It made cry to listen and watch him go through this. He is a champ though. The xray was done...and they said it was not pneumonia so that was good..no antibiotics. RSV panel came back negative...good! The rest of the panel they drew I guess wouldn't be back for a couple of days...so wait and see if his fever breaks...and his 02 level. So after all the work was done..I was able to cuddle my little man again. He was so worn out..he just moaned and moaned and coughed the whole time I was holding him. We tried to lay him down for the night, since it was getting late. He just cried and coughed, he couldn't get comfortable. They gave him some more tylenol to try and relax him..not a fever this time, and his sats were good...I think they cleared his lungs with all the screaming he did when they worked him up. His sats were mostly 96%. After about 2 hours of trying to get him to sleep in the crib. I just took him and rocked with him...still he could sleep. He moaned and coughed, I felt like such a horrible mom...was he this sick and I procrasinated going to get help??? Chris left and went home for the night...I guess its a rule in the PEDS unit that only one parent can sleep in the room...guess they punish good parents for wanting to stay. There was no sending me home. Vincent and rocked several times throughout the night...he could not get comfortable, it was a long night for the both of us. During the night...he got another bolus bigger than the last one...along with his running IV..he still hadn't had a wet diaper since like noon..so almost 16 hours dry! They gave him dexamethasone...a steriod to help his lungs out and treatment routinely every 2-4 hours. He would doze off maybe for 20 minutes and then wake up moaning or crying. Finally at 4am after rocking for ever...he fell asleep on me. What a great feeling. He slept for 1 hour 30 minutes....and that was it. They had wanted him in the hospital overnight because they thought he wouldn't be able to maintain his 02 level when he slept...well he didn't really sleep. Dr. Paradis came in to visit him at 6am...and wanted him to stay during the day for further monitering and he had to prove to us he could drink. That morning he refused everything..fough us on all oral medications..refused to drink...ate 5 bites of applesauce. So we tested him for strept...yes his throat is red...Negative as well. So at this point does he just have a really bad cold...and can't handle it...very possible. Some reason that I don't really understand because he wheezed at such an early age...you have an increased chance in re-occurant wheezing and the slightest thing can set him off. So maybe he caught a cold..and this is what happened. Every time he gets sick...he seems to get worse and worse. During the morning after an attempt to breakfast, Vincent finally fell asleep...again only 1 hour 30 minutes... he dropped his sats this time to 89 just a couple of times but always came up with in a few seconds...otherwise he was around 92%...I guess those levels were okay and we will never know when he is a deep sleep what his 02 levels are since he wouldn't do that. It was like a miracle. Around 2pm he just turned around. He decided he wanted juice and drank 1/2 a sippy cup. So of course we had them call the doctor...she said that was enough to prove he could do it...and we were to get discharged...2 hours later! But we are home now...and very thankful that he is feeling better. We still have to ALOT of nebulizer treatments, and continue steriods, and check-ins with the docs...but we are home and Vincent is much happier. So if anyone has any advice or thoughts..feel free to let me know! The pics downloaded backwards again...not sure why.
Vinny suppose to be happier...he just found out he can go home.








5 comments:
:( Poor little guy, hope he's feeling better soon!
Oh, poor little guy...I'm so sorry it's been a rough few days. Hang in there, mom....
I'm glad you're home and he seems to be feeling better! And by the way, you are a great mom and nurse! Don't ever question yourself :)
Wow. Vinny's quite the trooper. Poor guy, I'm glad he's okay.
I admire you for being such a, "Super Mom."
I do have a suggestion for you...I'm no expert, but here goes... My sister, Lacie, has 2 girls. When her oldest was about 12 months old, she had her first ear ache. She was advised by a friend to take her to the chiroprator. So she did. It was hard for her and scared her. The chiro had Lacie hold her daughter while he adjusted her neck. Her daughter hasn't had an ear ache since. I also go to the chiro from time to time, and when I do, I'm very healthy for a long time afterward. I went one winter, and was healthy for the next year; and I didn't even have a flu shot. Its something with your bones and nerve endings...when your bones are aligned, then your nerves and everything else work properly, resulting in your immune system working properly.
I know you're a nurse, so you know more about that stuff than I do. But I do know from experience that it works.
Just a suggestion!
Ear infection, not ache.
Post a Comment